Saturday 12 January 2019


"' America the Beautiful"  This is a wonderful patriotic song written in 1919. The words are by Katherine Lee Bates and the music by organist Samuel Ward . Since there is so much discussion about " Making America Great "again, this music should stir genuine patriotic blood. I first heard this cornet and organ version played by Ruby Braff on his piercing clarion and eloquent horn. He was accompanied by noted keyboard artist and song scholar Dick Hyman . I was absulutely thrilled the first time I heard the song thirty years ago. But have never lost that same  tingle in my spine as the cornet hits the high notes and the organ swells in support. Although  I am a Canadian, I was educated in the USA at Michigan State University and retain a great affection for America. I hope that it can regain the prominence so wonderfully expressed in those uplifting words describing the USA and " America The Beautiful"

 https://youtu.be/Uot1HrVHG_8

No comments:

Post a Comment